Prices & Departure Dates
Prices shown are per person travelling. 'Twin/Double' prices per person apply when there are 2 people travelling, sharing a room. The 'Single supplement' applies for single travellers who require their own room and needs to be added to the 'Twin/Double' price.
If you are happy to be paired up with another single traveller of the same sex on your tour, this can be arranged, (if another solo traveller of the same sex is already booked upon the tour), thus avoiding the single person supplement.
All our scheduled tour departures are guaranteed subject to a minimum of 2 travellers.
Goodbye USSR - 9 days Go Guide
: :Check out the go guide for details of the tour, info on visas, climate, money, what to bring and more!
Make the most of your time away! Listed below are the optional activities that are available on this trip. Please note that you will need to book these prior to travel as we cannot always guarantee availability of these activities once you are on holiday.
||Start the day with a visit to either the gardens of palatial Peterhof, overlooking the Gulf of Finland in the summer OR Catherine Palace at Tsarskoe Selo in the winter (Pavlosk Palace is viewed if Catherine Palace is closed). We stop for lunch at the popular restaurant, where we enjoy a hearty meal, before exploring inside the beautiful Church on Spilled Blood.|
||Head 65 meters underground to the Underground Cold War Museum - a Stalinist-era Soviet Bunker that up until recently was a top secret symbol of Soviet Power. This mighty 75,000-square-foot facility was constructed covertly in the 1950s, to protect the select few against a US nuclear attack. Step back in time to the clandestine and tense era of the Cold War and enjoy an interactive tour of this bunker turned museum, followed by a tour of the most luxurious and extravagant of the Stalinist era metro stations with their marble columns and chandeliers all with an English speaking guide.
If you are interested in trips with similar experiences to this one, then check out some of the ones we've listed below.
||On many of our group tours we provide the chance to get to experience certain aspects of Russian culture that visitors often miss – the Russian Banya (Sauna) and a once top secret underground bunker. In Pskov we take you to a Banya where you can get out of the cold and experience the healing properties for yourself, just watch out for the Bannik! In Moscow you can step back in time to the clandestine and tense era of the Cold War and enjoy an interactive tour of the secret bunker turned museum.|
||One of Russia’s most iconic images is undoubtedly St Basil’s Cathedral, with its riotously colourful tent roofs and twisting onion shaped domes, each with their own distinctive pattern and colour scheme. Located on Red Square in Moscow, opposite the Kremlin, St Basil’s Cathedral was commissioned by Ivan the Terrible in 1552 to mark the 1552 capture of Kazan from Mongol forces. It was designed by architect Postnik Yakovlev and completed in 1561. According to legend, Ivan was so ‘blown away’ at the beauty and intricacy of Postnik’s work; he had him blinded so that he would never be able to design anything as fantastical again!|
Highlights & Inclusions
Below is a list of key highlights and what is included on this tour. Further, where appropriate, we have listed the items that are not included in the tour price.
- St Petersburg - UNESCO-listed city area including: Nevsky Prospekt, Museum and University districts, Peter and Paul Fortress, Church on Spilled Blood, The Bronze Horseman, Admiralty End and the Hermitage at the Winter Palace
- Other sites of St. Petersburg included on the optional pukka pass
- Moscow - UNESCO-listed Red Square, Kremlin and Lenin’s Mausoleum, St Basil’s Cathedral
- The Museum of Political History
- Novgorod - ancient city by the Volkhov River - kremlin, cathedral and other sights
- The Russian White House and Sculpture Park
- 8 breakfasts, 2 dinners
- 1 overnight train Novgorod - Moscow (open sleeper cabin) including bed linen. Upgrade to 4 berth enclosed sleeper cabin available, contact us for details.
- Guided sightseeing - St Petersburg city, Peter and Paul Fortress and the Hermitage at Winter Palace, Novgorod, Moscow city and Kremlin
- Guided tour of Sculpture park and the Russian White House (exterior only) in Moscow
- Moscow Metro travel card - 6 journeys
- Specialist Russian guides at local sights
- NOTE: In Russia on the go use 3 star and 4 star accommodation as classified by the Russian Ministry of Tourism. However, please be aware that 3 star and 4 star standards throughout Russia vary greatly and cannot be compared to hotels of a similar standard in Western Europe or, and in particular, the United States.
- 7 nights 3 star hotels
- Airport arrival transfer on day 1
- Guided tour of the Museum of Political History in st Petersburg
- Russian banya (sauna) experience
- Escorted by an English speaking Russian tour leader
- All relevant transfers and transportation on tour
What's Not Included
- International flights and visa
- Entrance Fees: $50-60 USD
- Tipping - an entirely personal gesture