Ankara: Hittites in Anatolia - 1 day
FROM USD $679
Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Hattusa, the Bronze Age capital of the Hittite Empire, and marvel at the deity reliefs at the natural rock sanctuary of Yazilikaya on this Turkey Day Tour.
All our day tours are guaranteed to depart when bookings are made more than 96 hours prior to departure.
Day 1: Ancient Hattusa
Start the day with a visit to the rock sanctuary of Yazilikaya, nestled between natural rock formations just northeast of the ancient city of Hattusa. This Hittite holy site consists of two open-air chambers, accessible by a gateway and narrow passageways. The larger chamber is believed to have served as a place of celebration each New Year, and its walls feature reliefs of Hittite deities chiselled into the rock face. The second, smaller chamber is thought to have been a memorial chapel for a Hittite King, and has fewer, better-preserved reliefs.
Following lunch at a local restaurant continue on to Hattusa, the Bronze Age capital of the Hittite Empire. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is scattered with temples, fortifications and royal residences, and bears testimony to the lost civilization. At the south-western entrance to the upper city view the famous Lions’ Gate, recognizable for the two lions carved into the stone arches, and at another entrance stands the Kings’ Gate, with a large scale relief of a god armed with an axe and sword chiselled into the stone. Walk along the 70-metre long stone-walled tunnel that passes under the city wall to serve an entrance into the city, and visit the impressive citadel that also served as a royal residence. Finally, explore the monumental Great Temple, dedicated to Hittite deities, and surrounded by a number of buildings.
Prices & Departure Dates
The 'per person' price is based on 2 persons or more undertaking the day tour together. If you are travelling solo and booking this tour on your own the 'Single supplement' needs to be added to the 'per person' price.
All our day tours are guaranteed to depart when bookings are made more than 72 hours prior to departure.
Ankara: Hittites in Anatolia - 1 day Go Guide
: :Check out the go guide for details of the tour, info on visas, climate, money, what to bring and more!
Highlights & Inclusions
Below is a list of key highlights and what is included on this tour. Further, where appropriate, we have listed the items that are not included in the tour price.
- Hattusa - UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Bronze Age capital of the Hittite Empire, with the famous Lions’ Gate and monumental Great Temple
- Yazilikaya - rock sanctuary consisting of two open-air chambers featuring reliefs of Hittite deities chiselled into the rock walls
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Escorted by an English speaking, degree qualified Turkish tour guide
- Sightseeing and entrance fees as detailed in the itinerary
- Return transfers from your designated pick-up point in a private air-conditioned vehicle
What's Not Included
- Tip for your tour guide. We recommend you allow USD$5-10 per person. Tipping your guide is an entirely personal gesture
- International flights and visa