As it’s Turkey day here in the On The Go office, our minds naturally wonder to one of our favourite things about Turkey – the amazing food! Here are our Top 5 Turkish delicacies that’ll have you salivating in no time. It’s off to the Turkish for us!
1. Mezes. This is how most meals in Turkey begin. Expect dolmas (vine leaves wrapped around purees of chick peas, beans or smoked eggplant), boreks (savoury pastries filled with ground meat, cheese or spinach), falafel, hummus, salads and bread. Tasty!
2. Kofte. Sometimes what you need is meat on a stick. Kofte is minced lamb meatballs with herbs, grilled on a stick and usually served with rice and grilled vegetables.
3. Lahmacun. This is like the Turkish version of pizza. Thin dough is covered in (you guessed it) minced lamb, onion and tomatoes, and served with fresh parsley, lemon juice and salad.
4. Kebab. Ah yes, the famous kebab. A staple for anyone returning home late with a sudden desperate hunger for take-out, the humble kebab is a sure winner. They can be made with lamb or chicken and come as Doner Kebab (sliced meat from the rotisserie) Sis Kebab (cubes of meat grilled on a skewer) and Iskender (doner meat with bread and slathered in a rich tomato and yoghurt sauce.)
5. Desserts. Dessert is a big deal in Turkey, or so one must assume given the number of different desserts on offer! Our personal favourite is baklava, which is made of layers of sweet, rich filo pastry filled with chopped pistachios or walnuts and sweetened with honey. It’s deadly! Other favourites are of course Turkish delight and Sutlac (a type of rice pudding).
What’s your favourite Turkish food?