Budapest Ruin Bar Walk18 reviews
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Taste Hungary, Brody Sandor utca 9 Cellar Entrance, Budapest 1088 Hungary
Deep inside the dense history-filled Jewish quarter, and hidden within crumbling, pre-war buildings with battered bricks and graffiti, are some of Budapest’s most popular hangouts. From the outside they may look like squatters blocks, but inside are the ruin bars—filled with unexpected layers of detail—which have become Budapest’s own brand of local cool. Abandoned buildings, old cellars and derelict spaces have been transformed into dozens of these wildly decked-out bars—think old bathtubs and broken-down cars turned into seating, ladies walking around selling carrots, and all manner of nostalgia stuffed into every nook. Some have been around for more than a decade, while others disappear just as quickly as they pop up. They are not simply places to get a drink. Over the past decade, ruin bars have introduced a new wave of entertainment in Budapest and expanded beyond simply serving booze into cultural, artistic, and sometimes, gastronomic hotspots. Concentrated in the seventh district, they are at the edge of where the mainstream meets the contemporary underground art scene, and their success has been a catalyst for gentrification in this quarter. As the neighbourhood continues to change, however, ruin pubs may be forced to change along with it. Join our tour to experience a handful of ruin bars in different styles. We’ll look at many of them, and stop for drinks at four or five places. We’ll discuss what was happening in Budapest in the early part of this century to encourage these types of bars to proliferate, and why they continue to thrive. How have they changed the fabric of the neighbourhood, and how are they still evolving? Join us to find out!
Learn—Learn about what propelled the development of the ruin bars, and how things have changed in Budapest since then. We’ll delve even deeper into the history of the seventh district, and look back at what happened during World War Two to change the fabric of this neighbourhood, which is now known as ruin bar central. We’ll also talk about the drinks, and discuss Hungarian wine, spirits, and beer.
Experience—Be guided through the seventh district’s ruin bars, and experience the phenomenon from a local perspective. We’ll take you to a range of places which have different styles, and attract different types of crowds.
Taste—Drink like a local out for a night on the town! You’ll have four or five drinks, which could range from local wine or fröccs (spritzer), to beer or spirits (such as the local favourites, Unicum and pálinka).
Walk— We will be getting from bar to bar on foot, so be prepared for a bit walking. However, the places are fairly close to each other and most of the tour will be spent at the bars (where we can sit)!
Stop At: Jewish Quarter, Centre of 7th district, Budapest 1074 Hungary
Discover the Jewish Quarter while getting familiar with the Ruin Bar culture
Duration: 3 hours
- English-speaking local guide who is specialized in food and drinks
- Tour includes visits to several ruin bars
- Many stops for photos, questions and the occasional shopping
- Entry/Admission - Jewish Quarter
- Extra food and drinks
Budapest, Madách Imre tér, 1075 Hungary
Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Three-hour tour, generally from 6pm-9pm (unless otherwise requested)
- This is a small group tour (which means minimum of two guests and maximum of wight guests)
- For larger groups please choose the "Group Tour (min. 8 pers.)" option when booking
- If you would rather have a private tour (which can be customized), please choose the "Private Tour" option when booking
- We will be getting from bar to bar on foot, so be prepared for some walking, even though most of the tour will be spent at the bars
- Drinking age is 18 in Hungary
- Dietary Requirements: We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited
- Minimum numbers of 2 apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 4.33 out of 5 based on the last 18 recent reviews