Lofthellir Ice Cave from Akureyri4 reviews
See Lake Mývatn, a volcanic lake known for its thriving bird population, before going off-road onto a rugged track. We travel in a 4x4 Truck to the mouth of the cave, through rugged lava fields and crater rows. Drive by the crater of the imposing Hverfell volcano and through the striking crater row of Lúdentarborgir. As you ride, your guide will explain how these geological features came to be.
Before reaching the mouth, you will hike for around 30 minutes. Once you reach the cave’s entrance, suit up in your safety gear and prepare to descend. Forget about the world overhead as you enter the depths of the Ice Cave. Lofthellir is a unique cave, a lava tube tunnel but filled with Ice. Look around the dark chambers, corridors and crevices, pausing to admire the intriguing ice sculptures and rock formations.
After around an hour in the cave observing its features and learning about the various natural phenomenon, head back to the surface. After the hike back to the vehicle, relax as you make your way to the village of Reykjahlíð, which sits on the shore of Lake Mývatn. Here, you can grab a bite to eat (own expense), before returning to your hotel in Akureyri, where the tour will end.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Use of cave exploration equipment; helmet, headlights and rubber boots
- Food and drinks
HOF Culture Centre and Tourist Information Office
Returns to original departure point at approximately 4pm
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years
- It is recommended that you bring warm clothes, gloves and a bottle of water
- Small group tour, maximum 10 passengers
- This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour
- There is ice and water on the floor of the cave and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for travelers with Claustrophobia
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
Booking Terms and Conditions
When you book, we will ask you to select a hotel to be picked up from. Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you a confirmation voucher with full contact information (phone number, email address) for our local operator in case you need to update or change your hotel pick-up details.
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about hotel pickup:
What if my hotel is not listed?
That's okay. When you book you can select an hotel from our list and make your way there on the day of departure; or you can contact our local operator directly to make alternate pick-up arrangements.
What if I have not yet booked a hotel?
Once your hotel arrangements are finalised, you can contact our local operator directly with your hotel details.
What if I live locally, am staying with friends or relatives, and/or don't require pick-up?
Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you complete details and directions to the tour/activity departure point.
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 4 recent reviews