South Coast and Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Day Tour from Reykjavik287 reviews
On your way to the glacier lagoon, you will pass through the South Coast region of Iceland, a land of magnificent waterfalls, striking black sands, massive glaciers and volcanoes interspersed with farms. You will have unforgettable views of Skaftafell wilderness area in Vatnajokull National Park and drive through the starkly beautiful black sand expanse of Skeidararsandur. Just before reaching the lagoon you will also have a view of Iceland’s largest active volcano, Oraefajokull.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Volcano Eyjafjallajokull, Selfoss, South Region
Iceland's most notorious volcano is undoubtedly Eyjafjallajökull, which last erupted in 2010 and caused flight disruptions in Europe for weeks.
Stop At: Skogafoss, Skogar, South Region
Before reaching Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, you will stop at Skogafoss, a stunning waterfall that allows you access to great views from both below and above, by way of a staircase.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Glacier Lagoon, Jokulsarlon, East Region
Vatnajokull glacier is massive, covering 14,000 sq km and it is Breidamerkurjokull, one of the many sections of this great glacier, that creates the magical Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon. Large hunks of ice cleave from the glacier, falling into the lagoon before flowing out into the ocean. These large sparkling pieces of ice are eventually pushed back onto the beach by the ocean waves creating an impromptu ice sculpture garden on the black sands giving the beach its name, Diamond Beach.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Diamond Beach, Jokulsarlon, East Region
When large icebergs have floated out of the glacier lagoon and towards the ocean, they are often pushed back onto the beach by ocean waves where they sparkle like diamonds on the black sand.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Skeiðarársandur
Drive through the starkly beautiful black sand expanse of Skeidararsandur.
Stop At: Víkurskáli
Here you can use restroom facilities and purchase dinner.
Duration: 45 minutes
Pass By: Skaftafell National Park, Vatnajokull National Park, East Region
You will have unforgettable views of Skaftafell wilderness area in Vatnajokull National Park.
Stop At: Víkurskáli
Here it is possible to buy lunch, shop for souvenirs, or take a short walk in the village or down to the beach.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Seljalandsfoss, South Region
On your way back from visiting the glacier lagoon, you’ll stop at one of the more unique waterfalls in Iceland, Seljalandsfoss. What makes this waterfall so special is the footpath behind the waterfall which, when the weather permits, allows for a whole new perspective.
Duration: 20 minutes
- Professional guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Pickup and drop-off from most hotels and cruise ports upon request (if option is selected)
- Entry/Admission - Seljalandsfoss
- Food and drinks
- Boat tours on the glacier lagoon
1. Bus Stop #13 Rauðarárstígur
2. The Culture House Shuttle Stop #6
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up is offered from most hotels and guesthouses in the capital area upon request (if option is selected). The "No pickup" option does not include hotel pick-up, but complimentary pickup from the following locations is offered upon request for no extra charge: *Bus stop 6 - Safnahúsið / Culture House *Bus stop 13 - Rauðarárstígur You must contact the local operator after booking to confirm your pick-up location or meeting point.
Skarfabakki Harbour, Miðbakki Harbour
Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note: Boat tours on the glacier lagoon are not included in the tour price.
- Warm and waterproof clothing is recommended
- Drop-off after tour may not be directly in front of your hotel, depending on route and traffic limitations.
- Stops will be made during the tour where you can purchase meals and use restroom facilities
- Tour is approximately 14 hours long, but with regular stops along the way
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 24 recent reviews