Nicaragua Travel Guide
Don't leave anything to chance and swot up on the basics before you leave with our handy travel guides to Nicaragua. If you're in the process of planning your trip, check out when to go and what to expect of the weather, and work in our top recommended places to your itinerary. If you're ready to go, read through our Top Travel Tips for details on currency, cuisine and more, and arm yourself with the info you need on tourist visas. We've also got a section that details the style of tours we offer to Nicaragua.
Places on our must-see list for any visit to Nicaragua from colonial cities to volcanoes
Perfect for those wanting to know about the currency, food, voltage, duty free and more
- The Ladies of Managua
by Eleni N. Gage
- The Country Under My Skin: A Memoir of Love and War
by Giaconda Belli
- Nicaragua: Living in the Shadow of the Eagle
by Thomas W. Walker
Facts about Nicaragua
- Lake Nicaragua is the only lake in the world that has fresh water sharks living within it.
- Unlike most of Central and South America, the most popular sport in Nicaragua is baseball, not football.
- A myth in Nicaragua says that if pregnant women go out during an eclipse, their baby will be born with a birthmark.
Nicaragua Travel Advice
We keep up-to-date with the latest travel advisories to Nicaragua and follow advice as set out by the British Foreign Office. Safety of our travellers is paramount and we recommend that you check the latest travel updates from the relevant advisory body in your country.