Bridge on the River Kwai and Thailand-Burma Railway Tour511 reviews
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently not taking new bookings for day tours.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, 284/66 Sangchuto Rd, Kanchanaburi 71000 Thailand
The Kanchanaburi War Cemetery is the main prisoner of war cemetery for victims of Japanese imprisonment while building the Burma Railway during the 2nd World War.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: JEATH War Museum, Wat Chai Chumphon Ban Tai Subdistrict, Kanchanaburi 71000 Thailand
Visit the Jeath War Museum. Dive into the history of the construction of the Death Railway and how it was built by the prisoners of war during World War 2.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: River Kwai, Kanchanaburi Thailand
Take a long Tail Boat and cruise under the River Kwai Bridge
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Bridge Over the River Kwai, Tha Makham, Kanchanaburi 71000 Thailand
Fascinating, nostalgic and memorable sums up this full day tour to Kanchanaburi, 80 miles (130 kilometers) west of Bangkok. The province itself is an agricultural area with sugar cane, rice paddies and pineapple plantations all forming significant portions of the stunning Thai rural landscape. Whether a war buff or rail enthusiast, everyone has a different reason to see this symbolic bridge.
The famous bridge and the beginning of the 'Death Railway', which lies 1 mile outside the town of Kanchanaburi, is a poignant reminder of the thousands of POW's and forced laborers who lost their lives in the Second World War. The building of the bridge in 1943 was one part of a huge Japanese wartime project to link existing Thai and Burmese railway lines to create a direct route from Bangkok, Thailand to Rangoon, Burma (now Myanmar) in an effort to support the Japanese occupation of Burma. Thousands of POW's and laborers died in the process. During your tour a visit will be made to one of the Allied War Grave cemeteries (often an emotional experience) before visiting the JEATH war museum, which houses pictures and paintings from this period.
An exhilarating long tailed speed boat ride will then take you down river to the famous bridge itself where you have ample time to explore at your own leisure. A ride on a local train is also included before returning to Bangkok city.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Burma-Thai Railway, Kanchanaburi Thailand
Hop on a train which will make you discover the jungle of this region while Riding the Death Railway.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Hotel pickup and drop off (selected hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Local guide
- Long-tail boat ride
- Train ride along Death Railway
- Admission Fees
- Entry/Admission - Kanchanaburi War Cemetery
- Entry/Admission - JEATH War Museum
- Entry/Admission - River Kwai
- Entry/Admission - Bridge Over the River Kwai
- Entry/Admission - Burma-Thai Railway
Narai Hotel, 222 Si Lom, Khwaeng Suriya Wong, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand
Traveler pickup is offered
We Pick up from all hotels in the city center of Bangkok.
Departure Time: 7:00 am
Pick up Time: Pick up from Bangkok city hotels 10 - 45 minutes prior to the departure time
Return point: Returns to original departure point at approximately 5:00pm.
Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Boat ride is not wheelchair accessible
- Restroom facilities available
- You must provide your hotel details at time of booking, failure to do so may result in cancellation
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the unlikely event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Optional extras on train - approx. 200baht for upgrade on train which will guarantee seat (otherwise 'first-in-best-dressed') plus cold towel, drinking water OR approx. 300baht for upgrade on train which will guarantee seat (otherwise 'first-in-best-dressed') plus tea/coffee, drinking water, cold towel and certificate.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 99 travelers
Booking Terms and Conditions
When you book, we will ask you to select a hotel to be picked up from. Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you a confirmation voucher with full contact information (phone number, email address) for our local operator in case you need to update or change your hotel pick-up details.
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about hotel pickup:
What if my hotel is not listed?
That's okay. When you book you can select an hotel from our list and make your way there on the day of departure; or you can contact our local operator directly to make alternate pick-up arrangements.
What if I have not yet booked a hotel?
Once your hotel arrangements are finalised, you can contact our local operator directly with your hotel details.
What if I live locally, am staying with friends or relatives, and/or don't require pick-up?
Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you complete details and directions to the tour/activity departure point.
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 24 recent reviews