Jordan is best know by travellers as home to Petra, the ancient Nabatean city which is recognised as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Movie fans also know it as the backdrop for the iconic ending to 1989 blockbuster ‘Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade’. And Jordan’s movie credentials don’t end here. The lunar red desert of Wadi Rum starred in Matt Damon’s ‘The Martian’, and Timothee Chalamet’s ‘Dune’, thanks to its unique landscape which always enthrals visitors. And Jordan is also home to the Dead Sea, historic Amman, the crusader castle of Shobak and much more. It’s the perfect adventure travel destination!
People travel to Jordan for all sorts of reasons. Here are three of the most popular!
Wadi Rum is like nowhere else, with lunar red sands that look like another planet. And indeed, the desert has been used as the filming location for Mars in Matt Damon’s ‘The Martian’, as the planet Arrakis in 2021 blockbuster, ‘Dune’ and in ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It also starred in the 1962 classic film, Lawrence of Arabia.
A World Wonder
If you have a bucket list, there’s a high chance that Petra features. The iconic view of this ancient Nabatean city is the Treasury, with it’s impressive façade, reached by a walk through the famous Siq. There’s the even grander Monastery, which requires a bit more of a trek, meaning it is often quieter than its neighbour.
The famous Jordan Trail is 650km long, following an ancient path believed to have been trodden by Moses, Jesus and Muhammad. Described by many as ‘The Inca Trail of the Middle East’, it stretches from Umm Qais in the north to Aqaba in the south, and it has been split into 35 sections – you can trek as much or as little as you like!
Popular tours in Jordan
Our tours help you discover the best of Jordan. Let us sort the logistics, you sit back, enjoy the journey and embrace everything that Jordan has to offer!
Spend two incredible nights in Petra’s lost city, camp under the stars in Mars-like Wadi Rum, relax in the otherworldly Dead Sea and explore the Siq Trail of Wadi Mujib in six adventure-filled days…
Travel to the vast red desert landscape with rolling dunes and dramatic rock formations and camp under a blanket of stars in Wadi Rum, discover the lost city of Petra and explore a Crusader Castle, the Roman city of Jerash…
Discover the wonders of Egypt and Jordan on this 16 day adventure. Pyramids, Valley of the Kings, Nile felucca cruising and Red Sea relaxation. Topped off with Jordan, home to the stunning Rose City of Petra…
Our latest inspiration
Our latest guides to Jordan, Middle East.
- Dune: A Movie Starring Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya… and Wadi Rum, Jordan! (4 minute read)Dune took the world by storm when it was released in 2021. With an A-list cast including Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, and Javier Bardem, the blockbuster adaption of the classic 1965 … Read more
- Jordan Travel: 5 Bucket List Activities in the Middle Eastern Country (7 minute read)Nestled in the heart of the Middle East, Jordan is an adventure travel destination like no other. Home to natural wonders, fascinating cities, and one of the New Seven Wonders of the … Read more
- 5 Reasons to Visit Jordan Now! (4 minute read)Located in the heart of the Middle East, Jordan is a bucket-list destination; a kaleidoscope of rich culture, ancient history and breathtaking natural wonders. From the jaw-dropping Rose City of Petra to … Read more
- Petra by Day, Petra by Night…In November of 2019 I was lucky enough to go on my very first trip to Jordan. There were so many highlights (thanks to a very tasty cooking class I’m now trying … Read more
- 9 Tips For Visiting Petra (5 minute read)While you can do plenty of research on Petra, nothing quite prepares you for experiencing this incredible lost city. Our very own Tim Johnson, who works in our reservations team in Australia, … Read more
- How to Visit Petra from Israel (4 minute read)If you’re travelling to Israel, it’s highly likely you’ll want to visit the ‘rose city’ of Petra. Located across the border in the southwestern desert of Jordan, this spectacular site is a … Read more
- Top Six Historic Sites in Jordan (That Aren’t Petra)Voted one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, Petra is without a doubt the biggest attraction in Jordan. Carved from dusky pink cliffs and dating back over 2,000 years, the … Read more
- Top 10 things to do in JordanWith an array of ancient ruins, lost cities, biblical sites and spectacular landscapes to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to start in Jordan. With taken a look at … Read more
Find tour ideas relevant for you
Start your solo adventure, meet new people and explore.
Find our top tour picks for relaxation and cultural experiences for the over 50’s
For unforgettable moments, tour recommendations for families