Often paired with neighbouring Vietnam on tour, a trip to Cambodia is a must for visitors to Southeast Asia. Whilst the mighty temple complex of Angkor is the crowning jewel, there’s much else to see and discover in the country. It’s important to learn about Cambodia’s dark history under the Pol Pot regime, and it makes the emergence of vibrant Phnom Penh all the more impressive. Tonle Sap Lake is the country’s lifeblood, and the party town of Siem Reap is popular with backpackers and older travellers alike.
People travel to Cambodia for all sorts of reasons. Here are three of the most popular!
Temples, temples, temples
Angkor Wat is so important to Cambodia that it features on the country’s national flag, a source of fierce pride. Ta Prohm was used as a location to film the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider blockbuster in 2001. And the Bayon Temple with its carved faces was the very last to be built before the collapse of the Angkor Empire.
Cambodian cuisine is renowned for its fresh ingredients, bold flavours, and diverse regional specialties, with Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai influence. After the years of poverty and deprivation under Pol Pot, when people were forced to eat what they could find, it is still possible to sample scorpion on a stick.
After a turbulent past, the modern skyscrapers of Phnom Penh are testament to how far Cambodia has come. But it has lost none of its cultural flair, with the lavish Silver Pagoda and the Royal Palace among the highlights of a city tour. A visit to the former Tuol Sleng security prison, formerly a school is also a must for visitors.
Popular tours in Cambodia
Our tours help you discover the best of Cambodia. We’ll do the leg work, you focus on enjoying yourself!
Experience the best of Cambodia in under a week with this spectacular 6-day group tour. Explore the many sights of Phnom Penh and learn about the horrors of the Khmer Rouge at the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng. Then fly up to Siem Reap to discover the incredible Angkor Temple Complex, including legendary Angkor Wat….
Discover the spectacular sights, delectable cuisine and rich history of Vietnam and Cambodia, on an unforgettable journey from Hanoi and the limestone peaks of Halong Bay, to Siem Reap and the magnificent temples of Angkor. Visiting enchanting Hoi An, imperial Hue, Ho Chi Minh City and the Mekong en route…
From high-octane Ho Chi Minh City, take a cruise through the Mekong Delta and explore the ingenious Cu Chi tunnels of the Viet Cong before taking in the highlights of Phnom Penh and Siem Reap in Cambodia. Visit colourful floating markets and royal palaces, explore spectacular Angkor Wat and much more on this 9 day tour…
Our latest inspiration
Our latest guides to Cambodia, Southeast Asia
- Five Great Reasons to Travel Solo in Cambodia (4 minute read)Famous for the Angkor Temple Complex, Cambodia is well established on Southeast…
- Why We’re Planting Trees in Cambodia (3 minute read)Never has sustainable travel been as important as it is today. As…
- Top 10 Things to do in CambodiaWhilst the iconic silhouette of Angkor Wat is the first image that…
- The Best Spots in Angkor to Watch Sunrise and Sunset (4 minute read)Watching the sunrise in the ancient capital of Angkor is high on…
- 10 Interesting Facts About Angkor Wat (4 minute read)Angkor Wat is Cambodia’s most popular attraction. The legendary temple complex is…
- Visiting Tuol Sleng: The Horrors of Cambodia’s PastVisiting Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh is a profound experience. I visited…
- A Foodie’s Guide to Cambodian Cuisine (7 minute read)If you’ve ever been to Cambodia, I’d bet the fondest memories of…
Find tour ideas relevant for you
Start your solo adventure, meet new people and explore.
Find our top tour picks for relaxation and cultural experiences for the over 50’s
For unforgettable moments, tour recommendations for families