South America is a large and diverse continent, comprising such destinations as Peru, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands, Bolivia and Chile. Dominated by the Amazon Rainforest and the incredible Patagonia region, it is also home to incredible cities, notably Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires. And just off the southern tip of South America lies Antarctica, the uninhabited seventh continent and a next level adventure travel destination of its own.
People travel to South America for a variety of reasons, but here are three of the most popular:
The Amazon Rainforest covers much of the South American continent. It is home to all manner of creatures including jaguars, tapirs and caiman crocodiles – it’s the most biodiverse place on Earth! The Pantanal is similarly wild, the Galapagos Islands are home to unique species and Antarctica is the world’s greatest wilderness, home to whales, seals and penguins!
Ancient lost cities
The historic Inca citadel of Machu Picchu in Peru is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World and the most popular attraction on the continent. Lost to humanity until its rediscovery in 1911, the city was never discovered by the Spanish Conquistadors. But now it is ready to share its secrets with the world – we visit on all of our Peru tours!
Lively urban centres
Although best known for its natural wonders, the modern cities of South America are worthy of your time, bursting with culture, history and food to die for. From sensual Buenos Aires and lofty La Paz to the party town of Rio de Janeiro, vibrant Lima and Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world.
Find articles and guides to some of our most popular travel destinations. Find your next South American adventure!
Popular tour destinations in South America
Our tours help you discover the best of South America whilst you sit back, relax and enjoy the experience – leave the planning to us.
Our Peru tours take in all the highlights of the country, including Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, Cusco and the Amazon Rainforest. Many of our trips also go on to explore Bolivia and other nearby destinations.
More than 2,400km long but in some places just 90km wide, Chile is as diverse as it is unusual. From sizzling Santiago to the glaciers and mountains of Patagonia, and everything in between! Our tours take in the best of Chile!
Access to the seventh continent comes from the tip of South America, and travellers on our trips get to join an exclusive club of people who have visited the remotest part of the planet. Perfect if you prefer penguins to people!
Our latest inspiration
Our latest guides and travel inspiration for South America!
- What to see in the Amazon Rainforest: 5 Species to Spot on Your Trip (7 minute read)The Amazon Rainforest, known by many as the “Lungs of the Earth”, … Read more
- 10 Highlights of Chile: From Santiago to the Atacama (9 minute read)Stretching along the west coast of the South American continent, Chile is … Read more
- 7 Ancient Sites That Were DEFINITELY Built by Aliens (9 minute read)I’m lucky enough to have visited both Machu Picchu in Peru and … Read more
- Celebrating World Wildlife Day: 10 Conservation Success Stories from Around the World (11 minute read)03 March 2023. Today is World Wildlife Day, when we celebrate the … Read more
- 5 Reasons You Should Visit Antarctica (7 minute read)It’s fair to say that Antarctica probably isn’t at the top of most … Read more
- Our Guide to the Best Places to Visit in Peru (9 minute read)The South American nation of Peru has long been attracting adventurous travellers … Read more
- Good News Alert: Jaguar Numbers Increase in Iguazu National Park (7 minute read)At a time when biodiversity is taking a battering in South America, … Read more
- The Alternative Trek to Machu Picchu You Need To Know AboutSet high in the Andes mountains, the spectacular Inca citadel of Machu … Read more
- Introducing Choquequirao: The Next Machu PicchuWhilst Machu Picchu steals the limelight as Peru’s most famous ancient site, … Read more
- Top Destinations for Wine Tasting Around the World (9 minute read)Wine has evolved as a part of our diet and culture for … Read more
- Top 10 Cities in South America (12 minute read)Stretching from the icy glaciers of Chile all the way to Cartagena’s … Read more
- Top 10 Free Things To Do In Buenos Aires (8 minute read)Buenos Aires, the large thriving cosmopolitan capital city of Argentina, has a … Read more
- The Wildlife of Antarctica (5 minute read)Being the coldest place on Earth, the wildlife of Antarctica has to … Read more
- Top 8 things to do in ChileSpanning half the length of South America, Chile is as varied as it … Read more
Find tour ideas relevant for you
Start your solo adventure, meet new people and explore.
Discover life after 50, find our top tour picks for relaxation and cultural experiences for the over 50’s
Share unforgettable moments, tour recommendations for families