The highlight of Peru is undoubtedly the Lost City of Machu Picchu, which lay hidden for hundreds of years after its abandonment, re-discovered in 1911 by explorer Hiram Bingham. The Inca citadel is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and top of many bucket lists. But Peru is also home to the biodiverse Amazon Rainforest, the historic city of Cusco, lofty Lake Titicaca and much more besides. Find out more about visiting the country with our guide to Peru.
People travel to Peru for all sorts of reasons. Here are three of the most popular!
Peru was the centre of the Inca Empire, with Cusco as it’s capital. The Incas ruled swathes of South America from the early 13th century until the mid-1500s, by which time the Spanish conquistadors had wiped out the majority of the empire. From Machu Picchu to Cusco, Ollantaytambo and Raqchi, much important history survived the Spanish devastation and continues to welcome visitors to Peru today.
The Amazon Rainforest is one of the most biodiverse places on the planet, home to all manner of creatures. From the elusive jaguar, to snapping caiman crocodiles, blundering tapirs, rare pink river dolphins and curious spider monkeys, a few days in the jungle can yield all manner of incredible wildlife encounters. Stay at an ecolodge and enjoy excursions including kayaking and jungle walks on many of our Peru tours.
Alpaca steaks and guinea pig tends to grab the headlines when discussing Peruvian cuisine, and both can be sampled by visitors to the country. But Peruvian cuisine is largely based around four staple foods: corn, potatoes, quinoa and legumes, with Spanish colonialism also introducing meats such as beef and chicken, as well as rice and wheat. In the evening, why not sip on a refreshing Pisco sour, the country’s favourite cocktail.
Popular tours in Peru
Our tours help you discover the best of Peru whilst you sit back, relax and enjoy the experience – leave the planning to us.
Discover the incredible highlights of Peru, from the buzzing culinary capital of Lima to the dense bio diverse Amazon Rainforest, on this exciting 9 day tour. Visit sacred sites, colourful markets and travel by scenic train through the Andean Mountains. Explore some of Peru’s most enchanting…
From Peru to Bolivia, Lima to La Paz, we take a tour of some of the regions most fascinating destinations, starting with the captivating Peruvian capital of Lima. We’ll learn about the incredible flora and fauna of the vast Amazon Jungle. Taking a scenic train ride through the Andean mountains…
From Buenos Aires set out on a wilderness adventure through Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and Peru, taking in the spectacular landscapes of the Andes mountains, the Atacama Desert and the shimmering Uyuni Salt Flats, culminating at magnificent Machu Picchu….
Our latest inspiration
Our latest guides to Peru.
- What to see in the Amazon Rainforest: 5 Species to Spot on Your Trip (7 minute read)The Amazon Rainforest, known by many as the “Lungs of the Earth”, … Read more
- 8 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You’ve Never Heard of (8 minute read)Cultural travel and UNESCO World Heritage Sites go hand in hand. Some … Read more
- 7 Ancient Sites That Were DEFINITELY Built by Aliens (9 minute read)I’m lucky enough to have visited both Machu Picchu in Peru and … Read more
- 10 Interesting Facts About Machu Picchu (7 minute read)As the most famous structure in the whole of Latin America, you’d … Read more
- Our Guide to the Best Places to Visit in Peru (9 minute read)The South American nation of Peru has long been attracting adventurous travellers … Read more
- 5 things to see and do in PeruPeru is a country so huge and varied that you’ll never fit … Read more
- Introducing Choquequirao: The Next Machu PicchuWhilst Machu Picchu steals the limelight as Peru’s most famous ancient site, … Read more
- Six Lesser-Known Destinations in PeruWhen you think of Peru, an image of the Inca citadel of … Read more
- Visiting Lake Titicaca in Peru – What to SeeLake Titicaca claims the title of the world’s highest navigable lake at a … Read more
- Paddleboarding in Peru: Adventure on Lake PiurayGot some spare time in Cuzco but seen enough Inca monuments to … Read more
Find tour ideas relevant for you
Start your solo adventure, meet new people and explore.
Find our top tour picks for relaxation and cultural experiences for the over 50’s
For unforgettable moments, tour recommendations for families