Two Ancient Kingdoms from Kandy (Private Day Tour)
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Yapahuwa Rock Fortress, Yapahuwa Sri Lanka
A royal residence in 13th century Yapahuwa was able to preserve some interesting remains. While many traces of other ancient defenses are still seen, an ornamental stairway remains as the main piece.
Located in Kurunegala, belonging to the North Western Province of Sri Lanka, the Yapahuwa ancient fortress rises to a height of 90 m above the surrounding plains. Built by King Buwanekabahu the First, as the capital of Sri Lanka in 1301, today, the Royal residence, the Temple of Tooth Relic, the battle defenses are in ruins.
The ruined walls of Yapahuwa form a rough semicircle. The ends join the foot of the high steepsided rocky granite outcrop. The outer fortification, an earthen rampart which extends to about a mile is about 20 feet in height. Over the rampart are the ruins of a brick wall that was erected to protect the interiors. Around the rampart was a moat. Access to the fortress was by means of the three gates that were connected to three causeways. Within this rampart was an inner fortification: a stone wall, 12 feet in height and about 500 yards long with a moat outside it and with two gates.
The homes of the ordinary people would have been between the outer and inner walls while the king’s palace, administrative buildings and of course the Temple of the Tooth was within the inner wall.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Panduwasnuwara Kingdom, Wariyapola Road, Kurunegala 60000 Sri Lanka
The drive to your final destination, Panduwasnuwara, will take up to an hour and a half. The ancient city was one of the first kingdoms of Sri Lanka, having been the capital during the 5th century BC. The site was used much later in the 12th century as well, resulting in a mix of ruins from various periods. The ruins are spread over an area of almost 12 hectares. Some of the most notable sights are the recently restored monument that was the two storied former Temple of the Tooth, ruins of the royal palace and the artificial reservoir Panda Wewa that is considered one of the earliest irrigation systems ever made by man. You will also be visiting the museum of Panduwasnuwara, which has many archeological finds from excavations in the area. You will be spending an hour and a half in Panduwasnuwara.
Duration: 2 hours
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- English-speaking chauffeur guide
- 1-Liter water bottle per person
- Entry/Admission - Yapahuwa Rock Fortress
- Entry/Admission - Panduwasnuwara Kingdom
- Food and Beverages.
- Expenses of personal nature
Traveler pickup is offered
Your Hotel in Kandy
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Comfortable walking shoes and hats recommended
- Not recommended for participants with back problems (climbing in Yapahuwa)
- Not recommended for pregnant women (climbing in Yapahuwa)
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- Adult pricing applies to all travellers
- Vehicle Allocation - 1 to 3 Persons - by a Standard Car, 4 to 5 Persons - by a Small Van and 6 to 8 Persons - by a Large Van
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
Booking Terms and Conditions
When you book, we will ask you to select a hotel to be picked up from. Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you a confirmation voucher with full contact information (phone number, email address) for our local operator in case you need to update or change your hotel pick-up details.
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about hotel pickup:
What if my hotel is not listed?
That's okay. When you book you can select an hotel from our list and make your way there on the day of departure; or you can contact our local operator directly to make alternate pick-up arrangements.
What if I have not yet booked a hotel?
Once your hotel arrangements are finalised, you can contact our local operator directly with your hotel details.
What if I live locally, am staying with friends or relatives, and/or don't require pick-up?
Once your booking is confirmed, we'll send you complete details and directions to the tour/activity departure point.