Tiritiri Matangi Island Day Trip from Auckland with Optional Guided Walk104 reviews
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Waitemata Harbour, Auckland New Zealand
Meet your ferry at downtown Auckland’s ferry terminal and relax on the beautiful 75-minute ride across the Hauraki Gulf to Tiritiri Matangi island.
Stop At: Tiritiri Matangi Island, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
When you arrive at the island, you’ll receive an orientation from the ranger. You can then opt to take a 1.5 hour guided walk where you'll learn from your guide about the island's bird life, history and environmental restoration. The guided walk is recommended for an in-depth introduction to the island's birds, other wildlife, and history, or you can choose to spend the whole day exploring the island on your own.
The predator-free island is home to many endangered native birds, including the colorful and rare takahe. Other birds that can be found here include the stitchbird, saddleback, bellbird, brown teal, whitehead, kakariki, kokako, New Zealand robin, fernbird and penguins. Once deforested, the island has been recovering since 1984, when hundreds of volunteers started planting 300,000 native trees. Since then, 12 endangered native bird species and 3 reptile species, including the rare tuatara (a prehistoric lizard), have been re-established in the sanctuary. Your guide will give you tips about the best spots to see specific animals and how to identify the birdcalls that you will hear.
Stop At: Hauraki Gulf, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
Your guide will finish the tour at the visitor center where you can browse through informative exhibits. Free tea and coffee is provided at the center and there are plenty of tables where you can eat your lunch (not sold on the island, please bring your own).
Afterward, you can relax around the Visitor Center and check out the lighthouse, built circa 1864 and once the brightest lighthouse in the southern hemisphere. Or explore the walking trails that wind throughout the island, with varying choices for different fitness levels. In warmer months, head to Hobbs beach for a swim. You’ll have about five hours total on the island, with plenty of time to explore and see some of New Zealand's rarest animal life. Numbers of visitors are limited in order to protect the wildlife in the open sanctuary. Don't miss this chance to visit magical Tiritiri!
Stop At: Fullers 360 Discovery Cruises, 139 Quay Street Fullers360 Information Centre and Ticket Office, Auckland Central, Auckland 1010 New Zealand
Afterward, you can relax around the Visitor Center and check out the lighthouse
- Guided walk (if option selected)
- Entry/Admission - Tiritiri Matangi Island
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Downtown Ferry Terminal, Quay St, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Please bring suitable walking shoes, a light rain jacket, sunscreen, hat, towel and swimwear
- There are no shops on the island. Please bring plenty of water, snacks and lunch
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 24 recent reviews