White Water Rafting Day Trip from Hafgrímsstaðir: Grade 4 Rafting on the East Glacial River5 reviews
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently not taking new bookings for day tours.
Make your way to the rafting base in Hafgrímsstaðir where your adenture starts. Begin with a coffee while meeting your international team of guides at the river base, where you will get prepared and dressed into drysuits for the trip. From there, the rafting bus follows the road deep into the Austurdalur wilderness to the put-in point for the raft on the famous East Glacial River canyon. After a full explanation, demonstration, and training with your guides and safety kayakers, hit the water for a 3-hour, 18km descent of rapids such as "Alarm Clock", "Commitment", "Screaming Lady", "Green Room", "Deep Fry", "Waterfall", and many more. Conditions permitting, cap off your paddle with an 8-metre cliff jump and a swim in the energizing glacial waters.
Along the way, enjoy a riverside snack of freshly-baked waffles, jam, whipped cream, and hot chocolate, all homemade at the only farmhouse left in the valley and sent down into the canyon on a wire!
- All rafting equipment: drysuit, PFD, helmet, booties, gloves
- Qualified, professional raft guides and safety kayakers
- Transportation between the rafting base and the river
- Riverside refreshments: freshly baked waffles and homemade hot chocolate
- Transport from Akureyri (only if option selected at time of booking)
- Additional food and drinks, unless specified
Rafting Base in Hafgrímsstaðir, near Varmahlíð (approximately 1.5 hours drive from Akureyri)
If option with transport from Akureyri selected: pickup is from outside Akureyri Backpackers
Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Recommended items to bring: thermal underwear/base layers, warm fleece top/wool sweater, fleece pants/extra long johns, thick wool socks/hiking socks, change of clothes for after the river, any necessary medications (asthma inhalers, etc.) and waterproof camera (optional)
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 5 recent reviews