Lake Wakatipu Cruise and Mt Nicholas High Country Farm Tour20 reviews
Your boat is equipped with warm indoor seating, large viewing windows and outdoor decks that offer panoramic views of the Southern Alps, Glenorchy, Mt Earnslaw, and the Remarkables mountain range. An onboard cafe serves beverages and snacks for purchase.
Listen to informative commentary from your captain about the sights you see from the boat. Atmospheric pressures cause the lake’s water levels to rise and fall about 5 inches (12 centimeters) every few minutes. A Maori legend attributes the phenomenon to the heartbeat of a giant who lies asleep in the depths of the lake.
A slumbering giant might prove hard to find, but one could say that Elves have been here. Lothlórien scenes filmed for The Lord of the Rings movie were staged here at Lake Wakatipu.
Disembark from your catamaran at the Mt Nicholas High Country Station on the western shore of the lake and then visit a family-run merino sheep farm where you can learn about raising sheep and making wool. Then transfer to a 4WD vehicle to scale the mountains with stops at spectacular spots where you can enjoy short walks.
Your cruise on Lake Wakatipu, farm and high country 4WD tour ends upon your return to the docks in Queenstown.
- Guided farm tour
- Light Farmers Platter Lunch
- Free tea and coffee at the farm
- Farm and 4WD Tour
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Southern Discoveries Queenstown Visitor Centre
Returns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise of your country of origin at the time of booking
- Please wear comfortable closed-toe shoes
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 4.63 out of 5 based on the last 19 recent reviews