San Jose By Night: Food and Culture Small Group Tour45 reviews
You’ll find wares of every kind here, including produce, herbal remedies, handicrafts and more. Your guide will take you to certain stalls to point out the herbs, roots and fruit commonly used in local cuisine, some of which may even be part of your dinner later on.
After the market, amble down Central Avenue, learning about city history along the way. In Culture Plaza, gaze at the Neoclassical façade of the National Theater. Opened in 1897, this ornate playhouse is always busy hosting performances from the National Symphony Orchestra and National Theater Company, among other acts.
For more impressive Costa Rican architecture, stroll through Morazán Park — built over swampland in the 19th century — for a look at the Metallic Building that houses two prominent schools. At Spain Park, gaze at the Yellow House, home of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and hear about its connection to Andrew Carnegie.
We’ll continue to charming Barrio Amon, one the oldest neighborhoods in San Jose. Designed by Amon Fasileau, a Frenchman who settled in the area, it has become one of the most scenic parts of the city, boasting a rich, architectural history.
We’ll be spending the rest of the evening at a favorite local restaurant that specializes in wine and gourmet food. This cosy establishment offers the best in Costa Rican cuisine, a unique space that offers art, culture and history as well as fine dining. The view from the terrace is like looking out onto an open-air museum, where 1930s architecture fuses with modern builds which infuses this delightful neighbourhood its eclectic charm.
Between your tasty three course meal, and wines that go down a treat, you’ll be ending the evening in fine fashion, feeling every bit the San Jose local.
Your local guide will be happy to provide suggestions on where to head to next, but if not, they can assist you with getting a taxi back to your accommodation
- Local English speaking guide
- 3 glasses of wine
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
First course (one of the following):
• Tomato filled with sea bass ceviche and chicasquil (tree spinach)
• Palm fruit cream soup
• Tuna ceviche salad with olives, nuts and beetrootMain course (one of the following):
• Sea bass filet in tamarind sauce, with sweet potato puree and hearts of palm • Beef tenderloin with blackberries and strawberry sauce, with banana croquettes and glazed palm fruit • Pork tenderloin encrusted with palm fruit seeds, mango and guava Dessert (one of the following):
• Turrialba cheese and guava jelly
• Banana ice cream with pumpkin honey
• Coconut fudge with soursop ice cream
Each course is paired with wine from Argentina or Chile.
San José Central Market, Entre Calle 8 Y Avenida 1 Entrada Noroeste Mercado Central, Paso De La Vaca, San José, Costa Rica
Amón, San José, Costa Rica
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Minimum age to drink wine is 18 years
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 24 recent reviews