South America Travel Guide
Plan your South American adventure with the aid of our Travel Guide. Decide when to go with our overview of the seasons and learn what visas you'll need across the continent. You'll find a section explaining the style of travel we offer on our South American group tours with details on the accommodation & transportation. Delve deeper into the New World Wonder of Machu Picchu with a guide on visiting the citadel and trekking there on the Inca Trail. You can also see what our travellers say about our South America tours & what multi-country touring combinations we offer.
The top attractions in South America from wildlife-rich islands to Inca citadels
Tourist visa requirements for travel to South America including Peru, Chile and more
See what our travellers say about our tours to South America and why they like them
- Viva South America! A Journey Through a Restless Continent
by Oliver Balch
- The Motorcycle Diaries
by Ernesto Che Guevara
- Love in the Time of Cholera
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Facts about South America
- There are only two landlocked countries in South America - Paraguay and Bolivia.
- Evidence of human life in South America dates back to 9000BC and many indigenous cultures still survive today.
- South America is home to the driest place on earth as well as the world's largest river basin and longest mountain range.
South America Travel Advice for South African Travellers:
Safety of our travellers is of prime importance and we closely monitor current travel guidance on South America. We recommend that you check the latest travel advice for the countries in South America you will be visiting from the consular in South Africa when planning your trip. For more specific country information, please refer to the relevant destination page on our website.