New Orleans St. Louis #1 Cemetery, Voodoo, and French Quarter Tour314 reviews
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
Meet your guide at the corner of Royal and Conti Streets in the French Quarter 30 minutes prior to tour to start your voodoo and cemetery walking tour of New Orleans.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
As you stroll through the streets of the French Quarter, learn about New Orleans history and the classic architecture around the city. Walk by shotgun homes — one of the most popular styles of Southern homes in the early 1860s — as well as Creole townhouses. Along the way, hear more about the city’s legendary voodoo practitioners such as Marie Laveau. Many New Orleans residents believe in the religion, and various ancient traditions and rituals are still observed.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Bourbon Street, New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Street, located in the heart of the French Quarter of New Orleans, is known for its many bars and clubs. With over 17 million visitors annually, it’s no secret that it has become one of the main attractions of the city.
Stop At: St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, 425 Basin St 3421 Esplanade Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112-3535
From there, make your way to St Louis Cemetery No 1, where you can see Marie Laveau’s burial site and above-ground tombs. Your guide shares why above-ground burials are common in New Orleans as you meander through the labyrinth of graves to find Marie Laveau’s tomb. People come from all over the world to leave offerings, pay their respects, pray, and perform rituals around her decorated grave.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Louis Armstrong Park, 901 N Rampart St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3086
Once you leave the cemetery, head to the old train station, which is now a visitor center, to take a quick break before going to Louis Armstrong Park (formerly Congo Square). Your guide shares stories of large gatherings that took place here in the 1800s, including voodoo rituals.
Please note: Expect to walk at a leisurely pace and cover about one mile during your 2-hour tour. Comfortable walking shoes and water bottles are recommended.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Professional guide
- Entry/Admission - St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
- Food and drinks
- $1 fee for cemetery entrance, collected on day of tour by tour guide
400 Royal St, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
Congo Square, 701 N Rampart St, New Orleans, LA 70116, USA
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Tour guide will collect $1 from each customer for entrance to the cemetery. This fee is charged by the New Orleans Archdiocese.
- All guides are licensed by the City of New Orleans
- Note: It is illegal to vandalize/mark tombs in the cemetery. You will be fined and could be subject to arrest
- Bring bottled water. Weather conditions can become increasingly hot in the summer months and drinking water is necessary to prevent dehydration
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Check In begins 30 minutes prior to tour departure. Tour departs on time. Late arrivals will not be refunded.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 28 travelers
Booking Terms and Conditions
Scoring an average traveller rating of 5 out of 5 based on the last 24 recent reviews