Prices & Departure Dates
Prices shown are ‘per person’, based on a travelling party of at least 2 adults. The single supplement price needs to be added to the twin/double price if single rooms are required. If travelling solo, an additional ‘1-person’ supplement will apply
Prices are indicative and will vary depending on your chosen hotels, room availability as well as time of travel. Please bear this in mind if comparing prices as we always aim to deliver exceptional value.
Please note that discounts will apply if there are more 4 our more people in your travelling party, since fixed costs like transportation and guiding are shared across the group.
|Silk Road Adventure - 15 days
|Beijing - Pre-tour accom.
|Shanghai - Post-tour accom.
Make the most of your time away! Listed below are the optional activities that are available on this trip. Please note that you will need to book these prior to travel as we cannot always guarantee availability of these activities once you are on holiday.
||At the crossroads between East and West, Hong Kong is one of the most exciting cities in the world. Hong Kong has good museums, numerous markets, great seafood, restaurants, bars and nightlife. Jump aboard the comfortable overnight sleeper train from Shanghai direct to Kowloon in central Hong Kong.|
||Included on all group tours. For tailor - made or city breaks - book and pay locally.
Hutongs are a special feature of Beijing. On a peddle powered rickshaw and accompanied by a local guide, you’ll gain a fascinating snapshot of the city’s traditional way of life, as you meander through Beijing’s old back lanes. This bolt-on is included in all our group tours. Additionally it can be included to any of our tailormade or city break itineraries.
||An evening of death-defying acrobatic feats involving very lithe individuals clad in awesome technicolour costumes, performed in tune to sound and light and dinner (Chinese banquet-style). The performance can be added to any tailor-made or city break itinerary.
||Renowned for its striking, if bizarre scenery - vast areas of karst limestone outcrops that rise up from flat rice paddy fields, Guilin is often the subject of Chinese painting. The Lijiang River cruise is a true pleasure that offers an endless procession of peaks and simple villages. Charming Yangshuo, a river town lined with cafes and little shops selling handicrafts, clothing and curios, offers gentle respite far from the madding crowds of the cities.
||Datong is an ancient cultural city dating back more than 2,000 years, the region’s biggest attraction is the UNESCO-listed Yungang Caves. Built more than 1,500 years ago, the 53 caves are a treasure trove of ancient Buddhist art comprising a fine collection of carved-sandstone Buddhist figures. The ‘Hanging Temple’ also located outside of Datong was constructed some 1,500 years on a precipitous rockface. Literally hugging the cliff, the temple is a total spectacle.
||Considered the most beautiful mountain in China, Yellow Mountain or Huangshan is one of a range of 72 peaks in Anhui Province. Set amidst rural landscapes and with its slopes clad in pine, the ethereal scenery is nothing short of breathtaking.
If you are interesting in trips with similar experiences to this one, then check out some of the ones we've listed below.
||Experience breathtaking sunsets, incredible starry skies and the vast, beautiful landscapes of some of the world's most spectacular deserts. See the incredible limestone formations of the White Desert in Egypt, camel trek across the endless rolling sand dunes of the Sahara or India's great Thar Desert and climb Dune 45 in Namibia.|
||The discovery of despotic Emperor Qin Shi Huangdi’s army of 2,200-year-old terracotta warriors occurred in 1974 when local farmers digging a well stumbled upon the site. Qin (a man heavily pre-occupied by death and his legacy) enlisted 700,000 people over some 36 years to create his tomb and had the warriors made in order to be buried near him to protect him in the afterlife. His burial complex is also said to contain 48 tombs for his concubines who were buried alive with the emperor upon his death, a fate also reserved for workers, to prevent the location and design of the tomb from becoming public knowledge.|
Highlights & Inclusions
Below is a list of key highlights and what is included on this tour. Further, where appropriate, we have listed the items that are not included in the tour price.
- Urumqi - Tian Chi (Heaven Lake), Xinjiang Museum
- Turpan - Grape Valley, Flaming Mountain, Gaochang city, Bezeklik Caves, Astana tombs, Imin Minaret, ruined Jiaohe, Karez water channels
- Jiayuguan - Jiayuguan Pass and Fort
- Xi’an - UNESCO-listed Terracotta Warriors, clay warrior workshop, Huaqing Hot Springs, Wild Goose Pagoda, City Wall, Muslim Quarter
- Kashgar - Id Kah Mosque, Aba Khoja Mausoleum
- Dunhuang - Crescent Moon Lake, UNESCO-listed Mogao Grottoes
- Lanzhou - Yellow River, Binling Temple
- Beijing - UNESCO-listed Great Wall
- 14 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 12 dinners
- 1 overnight train (soft sleeper cabin)
- Turpan - song and dance show
- Xi'an - bike ride on medieval City Wall
- Airport arrival and departure transfer on day 1 & day 15
- Local English speaking specialist guides at local sights
- 13 nights 3 hotels & 1 night sleeper train
- Kashgar - Grand Bazaar, kindergarten visit
- Lanzhou - Yellow River boat ride
- Economy class flights - Urumqi - Kashgar, Kashgar - Urumqi, Jiayuguan - Lanzhou and Xi’an - Beijing
- Touring and excursions as per itinerary
- Entrance fees to all included sites
What's Not Included
- International flights and visa
- Tipping - an entirely personal gesture
- Laundry, drinks, items of a personal nature